2011年3月9日 星期三

Revolution in the Bellydancing World! – Interview with Suhaila Salimpour (1/2)

Suhaila Salimpour, daughter of legendary Jamila Salimpour, a pioneer in the world of Middle Eastern dance, and Ardeshir Salimpour, a Persian drummer. Not only her unique background has prepared her, but schooled from an early age in jazz, tap and ballet, Suhaila began integrating her extensive classical training with the Middle Eastern dance passed on by Jamila Salimpour.


How did Suhaila Salimpour Format born?

Suhaila Salimpour Format was born because her mother, Jamila Salimpour, the originator of tribal belly dance in United Sates, and also the first one to solidify a format of terminology in belly dance still used today. 

“My mom was unhappy that people said they teach her format but they didn’t really study with her or didn’t study enough. My mom told me, ‘Oh, I wish I could certify them!’ So this was an idea my mother had when I was very young, and I thought it’s actually a good idea! ” Suhaila explained. “People were using my mom’s name or basic idea to teach. But if you study with someone not long enough, you really can’t say you know the format. For instance, if you just study with a master only one year or two years, you don’t know the whole map yet. You must study for years and years and years!!

In the beginning, the structure of Suhaila Salimpour Format was planned just because of herself. “Music had changing in the 70’s. Many recordings of music coming from Egypt were so different and unique. This was also the first time people composing music for dancers. It’s totally different because everything was based on 4/4 in my mom’s generation. In the 70’s, music was a big composition. They might have like 35 musicians there. When I was listening in 12 years old or 13, I could see how I wanted to dance in my head but I couldn’t do that in my body. So I started to create a system to train my body that could show the way how I wanted to dance. After watching I put my plan in my body, people asked me how I did it. Then I realized I needed to create a structure about my plan which people wanted their bodies moving from my way. “ Suhaila said.

Based on her structure, Suhaila created it as a certification program with five levels. “I created certification program with several reasons: one is I knew it can help dancers can improve; second is there is no technique and foundation in bellydancing; third is because of my mom. I don’t want people just show up for few classes then start teaching my format. That’s why in my certification program has five levels. It shows you need to study it for years and years.” Suhaila continued explaining, “My format is like Martial Arts. They have yellow belt, blue belt……black belt. When you are black belt, it means you really understand the beginning. Not everyone can be black belt. That’s ok! Just like some people only can be level 1 in my format, or lever 2 in my format……, not everybody can be level 3, 4, 5.”



Train Your Technique! Learn from Origins!

“People seldom focus on technique, always Feeling, Feeling, Feeling, but you don’t have enough training and technique, you will still look……” Suhaila stopped, I didn’t keep asking. I think we both know what that is. “For instance, when I went to Japan, if I put them in home position, they won’t move even they die, you know? Compared with America, it took many years to get America dancers and audiences to appreciate my format. The truth is, people don’t work that hard, but my format is very difficult. If you don’t like to work hard, I am not a good teacher for you.”

If you see a performer, and you love their performance, don’t study with them, study with who they study with. Do you understand what I mean? You should find the origin. That’s why many students come to my class because they like my students’ performance or my mother’s. That’s also what I appreciate.” Suhaila believed.



Commit to Art. Inspired by Life

“I didn’t think to ‘create’ something. They just happened organic. I didn’t find them. Oppositely, they found me. I’m committed my art, so I train myself everyday. I work hard every day. I take many different dancing forms. I always stay opened. I’m always reading. I’m always educating myself. I do level 3 classes with my dancers. I did it for me. Even a master teacher, you still need to learn from everybody.” Suhaila said.

“For inspiration, I believe everything is connected. In creating process, if you stay opened, you can find the beauty and creative from many sources. For me, I rarely get inspiration in bellydancing world, usually from outside. For example, in Egypt, many dancers were inspired by dancers, costumes, and music. But I’m not. Walking on the street, I was inspired by a homeless person but still so generous; I was inspired by a man with one tooth, and he wanted to share his only piece of bread with me… Oh, what can inspire me is life, Not from make-up, costumes…!!” Suhaila explained.





沒有留言: