2010年7月26日 星期一

Translating music by her movements – An inspired story about Sahira.




您同時也可從此連結閱讀此篇文章的中文版: http://i-raqs.blogspot.com/2010/07/sahira.html




1. How do you start/ begin to dance?

I started dancing about 10 years ago after seeing belly dance here in Houston at a local art bar.  I thought the movements and the costumes were so beautiful and sensual, I just know I had to learn even though I had never studied dance before then.




2. Why do you love dance? What made you love dance so much?

At first the dance was for me a means of escape from the routine.  I was working as an Environmental Engineer when I began studying and dancing was a welcome break from using one side of my brain.  It was also a great workout, and I started toning up and losing weight almost immediately, which of course made me want to dance more and more!  
Now the dance is something that I HAVE to do.  I just can’t live without it.  And not only belly dance – I have studied several other styles, including West African, Persian, Salsa and Modern. And when I’m not teaching or performing, you might just see me on the salsa dance floor, just having fun!  There have been times in the past when I don’t have the opportunity to dance regularly, and I go crazy!





3. On this dancing journey, what is the deepest impression while you learn to dance? When is the happiest moment then? When is the most meaningful or inspired period?

This is a great question... And a tough one!  I have so many wonderful memories from over the years – here are the ones that come to mind first.

The first time I ever performed with a live band as a soloist.  I hadn’t been dancing for very long, and my instructor was called to dance at a local Greek restaurant.  She wasn’t able to perform that night, so she decided to send me!  I was SO NERVOUS!  I had only performed a handful of times before then, and never with a live band.  I didn’t even know what music they were going to play!  I remember calling all of my friends and asking them to come watch the show, hoping to have a wonderful supportive audience.  I can still picture the venue, and the band that played that night.  After taking several deep breaths, I entered the dance floor.  Within moments the music swept me away.  Everyone was cheering and clapping... I was hooked!  I haven’t stopped performing since!

I have incredibly happy moments within my work almost weekly.  There is something magical about getting up in front of a group of strangers, putting on music we all know and love, and dancing for their party, wedding, birthday, etc.  To have the bride, or mom, or grandfather get up out of their chair and dance with me, a big smile on their face... Knowing I have brought a magical moment to their special event.  This is priceless.  And on top of it I get paid to do it!  It’s really sometimes too good to be true.

I’ve had two really inspired eras in the last 10 years.  The first was after seeing Tribal Belly Dance performed for the first time here in Houston.  It was a Fat Chance workshop in 2001, and I had never seen anything like it before!  I knew I wanted to learn how to do that, but when I asked about Tribal classes in the area, I was told that no one taught that style.  Soon after that I was laid off from my engineering job and decided that it would be the perfect time to try dancing full-time!  I put all my belonging in storage, drove my car to Arizona, and studied five nights a week with Domba for the next three months.  My mind and body was reeling with all the wonderful new things I was learning, and I was thrilled to be surrounded by such an amazing group of women.  I came back to Houston a changed dancer and started my Tribal troupe, Urban Gypsy, soon after that.

And right NOW is actually a very inspired period for me.  A little over a year ago I reached a sort of plateau in my dancing and I decided to kick it up to the next level.  I started taking Modern Dance classes (inspired by all the incredible Modern and Contemporary dance I’ve seen on “So You Think You Can Dance”.)  I love the powerful yet graceful and organic nature of modern dance, and am challenged by the rigorous technique and training it entails.  From this a new project has been born, and I am now working on a unique fusion of Modern and Egyptian/Tribal belly dance that has me very excited!  I will be teaching some workshops in this fusion style in Taiwan in August!





4. Tell us which part do dance change you the most?

I have always been a performer.  I started singing and modeling in national competitions when I was three years old – so I have always been very comfortable on stage and a fairly confident woman.  This dance certainly brings to many women an inner confidence and love of their body – I really enjoy seeing this transformation in students in my classes!  But for me, the change has been on the emotional side.  Dancing has gotten me in touch with a part of myself that I was not regularly aware of in my former engineering life.  To truly dance, one must bring their personal emotional journey to the performance, and when I began 10 years ago, this was difficult for me to do.  Over the years, more life experience and a deeper understanding of the music and culture of Middle Eastern dance had made me a more emotive and authentic dancer, I believe.





5. How do you describe your relationship with dance?

My relationship with dance is like an instrument’s relationship with music.  I’ve been a musician (both flute and vocal) for over 20 years, and have always found joy in creating sounds and harmony from the written page.  In dance my body is the instrument that is translating the music from sound waves to a visual picture for the viewer.  I see it as an opportunity for me to share my interpretation of music and to show my journey through the song to my audience.





6. Do Teaching and Performing have different meaning for you? Do you have any preference? Why? 

While I love both teaching and performing, I would have to say that performing is definitely my favorite! I think this may have something to do with the stage being my second home, and a place where I feel so comfortable.  I love the freedom of the performance, and the excitement of sharing this beautiful art form with an appreciative audience.  Teaching is something that I enjoy doing as well, and I feel that quality belly dance instruction that not only focuses on movements and choreography, but also body mechanics, sound technique, zill work and the history of the dance and culture is so important and sometimes hard to find.





About Sahira

In 2005, Sahira released her first instructional DVD, "Arabian Spices" and has since then been invited to teach and perform across the USA as well as Mexico, Indonesia, Australia, Germany, Canada, and Taiwan. In 2006 she had the honor of being the first tribal instructor ever invited to teach at the largest belly dance festival in the world: Ahlan We Sahlan, in Cairo, Egypt. In 2007 Sahira released two more instructional DVDs: "Ali" and "Bella Donna Ya Helwa."

When in Houston, Sahira performs six nights a week with Bella Donna, voted Houston ’s Best Belly Dancers by the Houston Press. She is founder and director of Houston’s premiere Tribal Style troupe, Urban Gypsy as well as a founding member of Empyrean Fire Tribe. In addition to dance, she performs regularly on flute and vocals with the award-winning world fusion music group Moodafaruka, as well as early music ensemble Istanpitta.









Extended Reading:
Sahira’s website: http://www.sahira.cc/


You also can find I Raqs on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/I-RAQS/136312526382477







沒有留言: