2010年7月11日 星期日

Unregulated but special - Karim Nagi’s turbo musical journey (Part 2 of 2)

您同時也可從此連結閱讀此篇文章的中文版http://i-raqs.blogspot.com/2010/07/karim-nagiunregulated22.html


7.  What is your source of inspiration? Which person/ event/ thing inspired you the most?

I am inspired by regular life experiences. Over 10 years ago, I used to work in my families fashion boutiques. We played Techno music for the customers. During quiet hours I would practice my Arabic Tabla, and would use the dynamics and beats of the Techno music. This gave me the idea of Turbo Tabla. When I had a Dabke Folk Dance troupe, I used to play the Arabic Tabla to teach the dancers the steps at varying speeds. I soon learned how to do the dance and drum at the same time, to help with the training. That’s how my performances were created. So therefore, I allow my regular life experiences to inspire me. 


8. I noticed you “Arabized” the melodies of Mozart and Vivaldi. It’s really interesting and creative. Can you tell us more about this?  What inspired you?

I am doing the reverse of "westernization". Many cultures like to modernize their music by adding western styles. With the songs "Spring Arabized" and "Mozart Tabla Arabiyya" I am doing the reverse. I am taking western, European melodies, and giving them an Arabic rhythm and arrangement. I feel this way I am equalizing the two sides of the world. We will no longer assume that simply being "western" is better. This way, all regions and styles are considered valuable for their unique offering. 


9. As we known, you teach and perform a lot in bellydancing community around this world. Would you like tell us about the relationship between Unregulated and bellydance?

I am a dancer. So I know what motivates a dancer to dance. However I am also original and I do not simply make music from a formula. A dancer who wants something typical and known, may not want to use my music. But a dancer who likes strong music, with unique ideas, and heavy Arabic rhythm, will love this. There are songs that are perfect for Tribal dance, songs perfect for Cabaret, and of course, Folklore. There are also songs that may inspire new categories and choreographies.



10. Did any interesting/ special/ difficult thing happen during “Unregulated” producing process?

I was having many bad distractions in my life. So I decided to go to a quite lake house by myself to finish the album. I shut out the world, and I concentrated for 3 weeks during September 2009. In that time I made 80% of "Unregulated". Then in December 2009, instead of going out to a party for New Year's Eve, I decided to stay home and meditate on my life. On Jan 1st, I woke up very energized and inspired, so I finished the other 20%. It seems that in order for me to make music, I need some quiet contemplative time. 


11. What else is your wondering to innovation breakthrough?

I intend to use more language and singing for my future music. I have been working on this for several years. I hope to make great new lyrical songs in the near future. 



Here is another New Music Samples of Unregulated just for I Raqs fans!! So kind of Karim again!!!







About Karim Nagi

Karim Nagi is a native Egyptian drummer, DJ, and folk dancer. He is the creator of Turbo Tabla, and has released two internationally distributed CDs of this unique brand of Arab House/Electronica using acoustic instruments. Karim has authored instructional DVDs for the Tabla/Doumbek and Riqq tambourine, as well as two rhythm compilation CDs. He is also well versed in the ultra-traditional styles of music and dance as the leader of the Sharq Arabic Music Ensemble, and the Arab Dance Seminar. 

Karim performs and teaches Tahteeb Cane Dance, Dabka Line Dance, and Zikr Sufi Dance. He taught at the New England Conservatory of Music for 5 years, and has lectured and presented at Harvard, MIT, Yale, Bowdoin, Princeton, Stanford, William & Mary, and several Community Colleges. He has recorded music for Bellydance Superstars, Bellyqueen, and the Bellytwins, as well as mainstream artists like Alicia Keys, and The Urban Griot Project. His performances boast a dynamic concoction of live drumming and dance, done in unison. Because of his proficiency in both music and dance, his workshops deliver students to a new physical understanding of the connection between these two disciplines. 

As a dance and drum teacher, Karim has taught in nearly all major bellydance festivals in the United States and Cairo, as well as all major Arab Culture festivals in the USA. Karim Nagi is a true crossover artist, uniting the Cabaret and Tribal, Traditional and the Modern, the Ethnic and the Urban. 




# Extended Reading:
New CD Album Unregulated: http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/TurboTabla



You also can find I Raqs on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/I-RAQS/136312526382477




沒有留言: